Veterans Affairs

Combat Exemption for Children of Texas Military Service Members

What is it?

The 81st Texas Legislature authorized a new exemption from the payment of tuition (fees not included) at state supported colleges or universities for a child, or stepchild, of a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Texas who is deployed to active duty in a combat zone outside the United States (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya).

Who qualifies?

Dependent child or stepchild who:

1. Is a Texas resident or is entitled to pay resident tuition

2. Has a parent who is a member of the U. S. Armed Forces stationed in Texas

3. Is enrolled for any semester or other academic term during which the service member of the armed forces is deployed on active duty for the engaging in a combative military operation outside the United States

How to get it?

Contact the Veterans Certifying Official or Business Office at the Texas public college or university you are/will be attending for information on claiming this exemption. Students must be able to provide proof of meeting the program's eligibility requirements, as outlined above. Child must provide submit a complete application form and proof (ex- military orders and pay records from service member's unit to which he/she is assigned, etc.) of service member's deployment from the Department of Defense for the relevant semester or academic term.

The student must re-apply with updated proof each semester. If additional documentation is needed, students may wish to contact the National Personnel Records Center at (314) 801-0800 or by writing:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5


"This program is in a holding pattern until additional funding is approved through current legislation or the program is adjusted. If such funding is approved, even still, students are not assured that they will receive 100% reimbursement of their tuition costs. Reimbursement amounts may also be affected should a student have other applicable exemption/waivers or have their enrollment costs covered through a state funded education program (i.e. TX Guaranteed Tuition Plan)."

TAMU-CC Business Office

Combat Exemption Form



Combat Exemption for Children of Military Service Members Form

Get the form


The Veterans Office is now accepting application for VA and Hazlewood Benefits for Summer II 2011. Please turn in your application for benefits today! Application for the Fall 2011 semester will be accepted on or after July 18, 2011. Please look for the NEW Intent to Enroll Form on this website after July 5, 2011.

Thank you.

Veterans Office

© Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi • 6300 Ocean Drive, Corpus Christi, Texas 78412 • 361-825-5700