Discover Your Island

Veterans Affairs Office

Services for veterans

We are committed to recruiting, retaining, and supporting active duty servicemembers, veterans, and dependents to maintain a diverse and highly qualified student body, faculty, and staff. Our University encourages student organizations such as the United Student Veteran Organization (USVO) and the TAMUCC ROTC Cadet Club.

Important issues for veteran students in making the transition from military to academic life include:

  • VA education benefits counseling for Montgomery GI Bill® benefits through the Veterans Affairs Office
  • Admissions for the evaluation of transfer credit from military transcripts for coursework and military experience, and for instate tuition rates for military service member/spouse/dependents assigned to duty in Texas
  • Military withdrawals for servicemembers called to active duty with tuition refund, and re-enrollment following deployment; students contact the University Registrar's Office.
  • Online education, evening and accelerated course availability
  • Financial aid with MGIB benefits and/or tuition assistance, by submitting the FAFSA and also the Special Circumstances Application Form, and DD-214, member 4 copy for servicemembers and veterans returning from a deployment or mobilization
  • Hazlewood Act exemption of tuition and fees for eligible Texas veterans with the Business Office
  • Academic advising from the Transition Center and specific advisors in the College of major area of student
  • Academic student support services with the Center for Academic Student Achievement (CASA) is offered at no cost, and retention efforts for veteran students have been identified as priorities.

Center for Academic Student Achievement (CASA)
CASA offers a wide variety of tutoring services and all students are encouraged to take advantage of them. These programs are designed to improve the retention and graduation rates of University students. This tutoring is typically done on a walk-in basis at the CASA offices (located in the Glasscock Student Success Center). Students who wish to receive tutoring usually do not need to make an appointment, although tutors for certain subjects (like writing) do encourage that an appointment be made prior to your arrival. For further information, please contact their offices at 361.825.5933.

Academic Advising Transition Center (AATC)
Academic advising centers are housed in each college and staffed by full-time academic advisors. Undeclared/exploratory students and prospective transfer students are advised through the Transition Center (AATC), located in the Student Services Center, Room 214. The goal of these advising centers is to establish a culture of communication between the students, faculty, and staff which provides a supportive environment for professional growth and learning. They are designed to help answer undergraduate questions and guide students to appropriate campus resources. Full-time academic advisors are available to assist students with their educational plans, course selections, degree requirements and other academic matters. Academic advisors support students from the time of their initial enrollment to the successful attainment of the educational goals. Students should set an appointment with their academic advisors during their first semester. An additional feature of the academic advising program is the direct involvement of University faculty as career mentors. To locate your academic advisor and/or to learn more about academic advising, please contact the AATC at 361.825.5931.

Career Services
Career Services is dedicated to assisting qualified veteran students and alumni in exploring career opportunities and the development of the individual to empower them to achieve their career goals through part-time and full-time employment, internships and job shadowing. Career Services offers a variety of programming such as career fairs, mock interviewing, interest inventories, skills assessments, and workshops that assist the student in their job search. For additional information, or to make an appointment with a Career Counselor, please contact their offices at 361.825.2628. Career Services is located on the 3rd floor of the University Center, in Room 304.

United Student Veteran Organization (USVO)
The USVO is a chartered student organization that assists veterans in the acclimation from military to academic life for a successful college experience. Members advocate for veteran student issues at the university and state level and have created a resource in support of members of the U.S. Armed Forces, at home and deployed around the world.

University Health Care
Health care of veterans has been identified as a priority of the University. The staff members of the Health Center, Counseling Center, and Disability Services offices on campus are dedicated to assisting veterans with their health care needs.

  • The University Health Center provides acute medical care to students. Their mission is directed toward enhancing the educational process for students by treating acute illnesses, promoting optional wellness and enabling individuals to make informed decisions about health-related concerns. They offer services from licensed Registered Nurses, Family Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, and a Massage Therapist. They strive to offer individualized medical care sensitive to unique needs of each student, including veterans. For more information, contact their offices at 361.825.2601 or visit their offices, located in the Sandpiper Building.
  • The University Counseling Center (UCC) offers a variety of services designed to improve veteran's potential for personal, academic and career success. Services include short-term individual and group counseling; psychiatric assessment and consultation; and substance abuse education and intervention. The Personal Skills Center, a division of the UCC, provides training in communication, problem-solving and relationship skills designed to improve academic performance. Counselors are licensed professionals and sensitive to the unique needs and challenges of veterans making the transition into civilian and college life. Sessions are confidential and there is no charge for services. Veterans may call 361.825.2703, or visit the UCC, located in the Driftwood Building, to schedule an appointment.
  • Disability Services is committed to providing veteran students with disabilities assistance in ensuring equal access to facilities, programs, services and resources of the university. Services and auxiliary aids (i.e., materials in alternative format, assistive technology software and computers, classroom and exam accommodations, etc.) are provided to students with physical, sensory, neurological, chronic health, learning, psychological, and other impairments who qualify under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Veteran students with temporary medical and/or psychological impairments may also receive services on a short-term basis. Additionally, if you are experiencing physical access and/or cognitive issues in the classroom or on campus, please contact their office at 361.825.5816 or visit Disability Services in the Driftwood Building, Rm. 101.