The mission for the Office of Veterans Affairs is to assist service members, veterans, and dependents in receiving entitled veteran education benefits and in achieving academic goals. We are committed to maintaining support to our military community. We encourage and support student organizations such as the Student Veterans Organization (SVO) and the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC).
Important issues for veteran students in making the transition from military to academic life include:
- VA education benefits counseling.
- Admissions for the evaluation of transfer credit from military transcripts for coursework and military experience, and for instate tuition rates for military service member/spouse/dependents assigned to duty in Texas
- Military withdrawals for servicemembers called to active duty with tuition refund, and re-enrollment following deployment; students contact the University Registrar's Office.
- Online education, evening and accelerated course availability
- Financial aid with veteran education benefits and/or tuition assistance
- Hazlewood Act exemption of tuition and fees for eligible Texas veterans with the Business Office
- Academic advising from the Transition Center and specific advisors in the College of major area of student
- Academic student support services with the Center for Academic Student Achievement (CASA) offered at no cost, and retention efforts for veteran students have been identified as priorities.